Ephemeritor
              Antiques & Collectibles

(844) 828-7855
P.O. Box 12048, Tempe, AZ 85284
   Facebook   

 


Shop by Category

Auburn, CA "old town" firehouse #2. 8" x 10" Black and White Glossy. Circa 1950. Very good condition.

SKU: Auburn, CA Firehouse $4.95
Fire House No. 2 is located in what was called the Plaza block between Washington Street and Lincoln Way (Main Street prior to 1913) and on the corner of Commercial Street. The firehouse is centrally located in the business district of Old Town Auburn and fronts onto Main Street. This is the original business district of the mining town and the building was surrounded by small businesses. The square plan building has a concrete foundation, rises up two and one half stories with channeled wood shiplap walls and is the tallest building in Old Town. A six paneled wood door on the southeast corner opens to a stairway to the second floor, and double carriage doors are on the east elevation. The upper portion of the carriage doors has been replaced with Plexiglas so visitors can view the inside of the building and the antique fire engine housed inside. The second story has two asymmetrical four light double-hung wood sash windows. The south elevation has no windows, while the west elevation has a one story, lean-to addition of approximately six feet with a shed roof, built prior to 1895, evidently an addition to accommodate more equipment and longer vehicles. The north elevation has two sets of asymmetrical four light double hung wood sash windows; one set on each story. Flaring at the eaves, a steeply pitched truncated peaked roof rises in white and red alternating banks of straight, octagon and diamond butt shingles. Gabled, dormer windows are located on the half story above the second story with the same shingle treatment. Above these is a platform topped off with the bell tower. A metal pipe railing surrounds the platform. Surmounting the platform, the open timber frame work supporting the bell is crowned by a steeply pitched, flared eave peaked roof with alternating white and red bands of shingles terminating in a flag pole mast. In December of 1957 California Department of Transportation moved the fire house approximately fifty feet to the other end of the small block on which it was originally located. The orientation of the building was maintained. Two other buildings on the block burned in 1951 leaving room to move the fire house. Highway 40 freeway (later Interstate 80) was to be widened for the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley and the building was located where an off ramp alignment was planned. After the move, some of the shingles were replaced in kind and it was repainted to be made into a static museum for fire apparatus. The museum opened in 1958 and remains in the building today. The ground floor has four in plank wooden floor, with four 2x12 twelve planks placed two together for the fire engine to sit on. The walls are horizontal six inch boards o the north, south, and east walls as well as the ceiling. The west wall, which is the prior to 1895 addition, has beadboard that is placed horizontally. Electrical wiring in conduits has been added in the northwest corner. Between the two windows on the north wall is a pot-bellied stove. A door in the south wall accesses under the stair storage. Posted on the south wall is the bell system for the city. The stairway to the second floor is behind the south wall and is accessed from the street by the door in the southeast corner on the east elevation. The upper stories were not accessible. The building is in very good condition. The exterior stairway door and the carriage doors have been replaced with doors with Plexiglas on the upper area to provide public viewing of the interior and the antique engine that is housed there. There are some shingles that need to be replaced and some of the paint is chipping. The city is budgeting for these repairs; shingles will replaced in kind and the same paint color will be applied. Fire House No. 2 retains integrity of design, setting, materials, workmanship, and feeling. Although the building has been moved, the move was less than fifty feet, the orientation is the same and it is still in a central location of Old Town Auburn, thus the property retains sufficient integrity of setting to remain eligible under Criterion A