Ephemeritor
              Antiques & Collectibles

(844) 828-7855
P.O. Box 12048, Tempe, AZ 85284
   Facebook   

 


Shop by Category

Ando Cloisonne Vase Showa period

SKU: Ando Cloisonne Vase $1,995.00
Antique Cloisonne The crafting of Japanese cloisonne began in the Edo period (c. 1603-1868). It reached its most magnificent stage in the early 1800s with the artist and samurai Kaji Tsunekichi who perfected Japanese cloisonn technique that led to a flourishing export trade and a magnificent art. The technique involves pouring enamel into wire cells covering a metal body. Japanese cloisonn or Shippo yaki uses many techniques including yusen cloisonn (with wires) musen cloisonne (wireless) shotai or plique-a-jour ginbari and pigeon blood cloisonn. The original center for cloisonne production in Japan was Nagoya. A nearby village called Toshima became known as Shippo-Mura (the cloisonne village) the founder there was Hayashi Shogoro in 1856 an early student of Kaji Tsunekichi (1808-1883) and also a mentor to Hayashi Kodenji. In the following decades several cloisonne master-craftsmen had their workshops or studios located in or near the city of Nagoya: Hattori Tadasaburo Ota Tameshiro Hayashi Kodenji and Ando Jubei. Namikawa Yasuyuki a high status samurai studied the art of cloisonne in Nagoya then established his own studio and workshop in Kyoto. He taught Inaba Nanaho (or Shichiho) a textile engineer who moved on to create his own cloisonne in a Kyoto workshop in 1888 founding the Inaba Cloisonne Company. Later when Japanese cloisonne became a sought-after collectible by the upper class Europeans Ando Jubei opened a shop in the Ginza district of Tokyo in 1887 while keeping his workshop in Nagoya. During this golden era of Japanese cloisonne: only 5 workshops/studios and their master craftsmen were highly valued and recognized above all others they had the honor of being the official purveyors to the Meiji imperial palaces and their court gentry. Ando was one of the five. Ando Cloisonne: One of the most historic and prestigious manufacturers of Japanese cloisonn is Ando of Nagoya: Ando Cloisonne was founded by Ando Jubei in 1880 and is the oldest and largest corporation involved in manufacturing and dealing in shippo(cloisonne) a fine ceramic art form. Their products were first introduced to the world at the Chicago Exposition in 1893. Since then they have received many awards in numerous international expositions. Ando Cloisonne is always among the main part of the Japanese Emperor's gifts. Ando Cloisonne is headquartered in Nagoya and has branch offices in central Tokyo's Ginza district. Mr. Juro Ando is the fourth-generation successor. Some variations of the Ando trademark are referred to as the floweror Maltese Crossor sand dollarmark. Various methods were used for applying this trademark. Typically it is formed in wire in the center of the base while shin-jippo (new shippo) works are often impressed or stamped on the bottom base rim. Ando made almost all types of cloisonn enamels however quality and workmanship vary considerably. With the closure of the Inaba Cloisonn Company in Kyoto Ando is the sole shippo commercial scale manufacturer dating from the Meiji period still producing shippo ware in Japan.